Friday, August 15, 2008

Bystander Effect


By JUNE (Lee Jaeoak) (545)

* Summary
The murder took place in New York on March 13, 1964 3 a.m.
Kitty Genovese, she was killed by a rapist and murderer on the street. The killing took 35 minutes, and there were 38 witnesses. However, no one helped her at that time. At first, the murderer stabbed her back so she cried for help. Then, some lights were turned on, so the murderer ran away, but it wasn’t the end. After 10 minutes, he came back to her, and he stabbed again. She shouted and shouted, and he ran away again, but there was no one. A few minutes later, he did again, so these were all three. The place that took place this murder was a residential district. Nevertheless, people just stood by and ignored the event by the window. They didn’t have moral consciousness. This psychological phenomenon is called bystander effect that someone is less likely to respond to an emergency situation when other people are present and able to help than when he or she is alone.

* My Opinion
I read the book Opening Skinner’s Box by Lauren Slater about one year ago. The contents of this book were so surprised and interested. Especially, I was interested in bystander effect phenomenon. I think the ignorance of witnesses is horrible than the killing of Kitty Genovese, and it made me to think. If I were one of witnesses, what did I do? I hope I could help. When we need someone’s help, we have to do like this. I found a studied recommendation is that one should pick a specific person in the crowd to appeal to for help rather than appealing to the larger group generally. Pointing directly to a specific bystander, saying their name if known, and giving them a specific task such as "You. [Or name.] Call the police." place all responsibility on a specific person instead of allowing it to diffuse. In short, the moment that we meet with an accident when we are alone or group anytime, we should help and act by recalling bystander effect.

10 comments:

Steven said...

I have the same feeling with this topic. Sometimes people only watch because they don't want to involve the troublesome situation. In my opinion, we can give victim some help by third party(police) since it could help someone's life.

Sharon said...

I don't have such kind of experience for me .. I don't know what my reaction when there have crime in front of me..am I ignore or get involve ? I'm not sure. However, I'm sure that I must feel very scare if violence occur at night time.

Aude B. said...

When you see someone in danger and you're not, you have to help this person, you can just call the police if you're too scared. But you can say after that, i did something. Because I think if you were the person in danger you'd like someone to help you. That's my opinion.

Haruka Kabeya said...

When we see some accident, we absolutely think something even though we can't help the victim.I've never experience,so I can't imagine I can help the victim or not, but if I meet with accident, I try to something like calling police at least.

Unknown said...

The ignorance of witnesses is horrible, of course, but sometime is impossible to do something. I think when somebody see somethink like that become scaried and afraid to do everything. I think at least everyone must call the Police and this is possible for everybody.

RYOUKO said...

I think it's similar to bullying in the school because when it happens every students say "If I helped him maybe I would have bee n bullied" Acorfing the article it's natural thinking of human. We never think I have to help or must do something for her.

taejin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
taejin said...

I'm sorry to hear about article.
First we have to change our mind that someone will solve this accident. And do not ignore (none of my business).
If we change our mind, at least, we can protect someone's die.ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Helen said...

I don't have kind of this events, and I cannot image that kind of happening. I think psychology is really deep and interesting. I will use your advice when I encounter kind of this event.

Abo Suhaib said...

In my opinion, I am one of those who give a hand to anyone who needs help. these conditions impact everyone if he/she encounters any problems. in some cased it's really easy to solve them matter, but in some situation I know it's difficult to stop the fighting because it might be in a bad position, and maybe injured or sometimes be killed. I hope all are in save side and far a way of all the fighting.